Saturday, February 5, 2011

Mondays with SPD: Lets shake the house down!

"How loud can you jump?" Diane, our Occupational Therapist, challenged my three boys.  My boys literally jumped on the opportunity to try and break the sound barrier on my hardwood floors.  After a few floor jarring moments of hard jumping, Diane challenged them to "make the room bigger" by pushing on the walls.  My 7 year old was convinced he had managed to make my living room a few feet wider all by himself.

Why, might you ask, are my children trying to bring my house down?  Well, as Diane explained, these exercises are great for the Proprioceptive stimulation, both for Sensory Seekers and Sensory Avoiders, of which I am mother to both.

I'm struggling to keep up with the deep pressure brushing and joint compressions every four hours for both the boys.  I have noticed a big difference in their behaviour when I do manage to do the DPBs and JCs.  Bed time is easier, they are more calm and relaxed, and there is less "bothersome activity" that the boys engage in to peeve one another. 

I'm looking into dietary changes as my second son has a sensitive system and Diane said that SPD kids tend to have weak muscle tone inside and out.  So, digestion is a bit of a problem, which would explain the tummy aches after certain meals.  Diane suggested pro-biotics which can be purchased at health food stores.

No comments:

Post a Comment