Monday, January 3, 2011

Mondays with SPD: What is Proprioceptive Dysfunction?

According to her book, The Out-of-Sync Child, Carol Kranowitz writes:
“Proprioceptive Dysfunction is the inefficient processing of sensations perceived through the muscles, joints, ligaments, tendons, and connective tissue…
“The child with poor proprioception has difficulty interpreting sensations about the position and movement of his head and limbs.  The child lacks instinctive knowledge of these ordinarily subconscious sensations.
“The child has a poor sense of body awareness and body position…He may be clumsy and easily frustrated.  Other people perceive him to be a “klutz”.” (Kranowitz, p.134).
Carol continues with how poor proprioceptiion affects the child’s emotions by stating that the child “isn’t confident about his own body.  Because he doesn’t have the “feel” of it, he is emotionally insecure.” (Kranowitz, p. 139).
Carol goes on to list the Characteristics of Proprioceptive Dysfunction.  A few of the examples that we identify with for my second born who seeks sensory feedback:
1.       Stamping or slapping feet on the ground when walking
2.       Kicking heels against floor or chair
3.        Banging a stick against a wall or fence while walking
4.       Likes to be swaddled in a blanket or tucked in tightly at bedtime
5.       Chews constantly on objects like shirt sleeves, hood strings, pencils, toys, paper, etc.
For my first born who is challenged with inefficient body awareness, motor control, and motor planning:
1.       Has difficulty knowing where his body is in relation to objects and people, frequently falling, tripping, and bumping into obstacles.
2.       Shows fear when moving in space
I also believe my firstborn suffers from emotional insecurity because of his “clumsiness”.  He avoids participating in movement experiences, he lacks self-confidence and doesn’t even try the activities, and he becomes very timid in unfamiliar situations.
As mentioned in my previous post – I am on a quest to create a sensory diet for my two children who were diagnosed with Sensory Processing Disorder.  I tend to focus more on my second son as his behavior is the most disruptive, but I have to keep in mind that my first son’s needs are just as important even though his behavior quirks are less upsetting to me than my second born’s.  Although I'm quickly learning that poor self-confidence for my first born is rapidly becoming an issue if I don't address it now with him.
This week the OT will be visiting with us for my children’s weekly session.  I hope to have a sensory plan in place for both boys by next week.    
Wednesday’s post will continue with SPD activites that will address the needs of my children.
Until then, eat well, be well and be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment