Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Wednesday at the Kitchen Table:Dried Food Collage

I love doing arts and crafts with my kids at the Kitchen Table.  Just sitting around making something together allows time to talk, make jokes and laugh together, and just be together as a family.  One of our favorite activities to do is to make dried food collages.
Materials needed:
Dried Beans (all varieties)
Barley
Wheat
Rice (all varieties)
Dried corn
Other dried food as you may have on hand
White glue
Manila Folders cut in half

I cut a manila folder in half (these are sturdy enough to support the weight of the collage when completed) If my child is quite young, I will draw an outline of whatever animal or object my child wishes to create, otherwise older children can draw their own objects.  Make sure to add some minor details to the inside of the outline to help denote varying aspects of the drawing.  Then with white glue, the child can add the various dried food bits to the drawing.  The completed collage looks similar to a mosaic.  Below is a collage my eight year old did.
Eagle on a rock with a rabbit
Another variation of this is to get construction paper and cut it into small pieces no smaller than about an inch.  Get several colors in different piles.  Store leftovers in plastic zip baggies.
Have fun, be well, eat well and be happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment