Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Wednesday at the Kitchen Table: Ogre Smoothies and Arnold Juice

Childhood obesity is a growing problem in America.  Kids just don't get enough exercise and wholesome foods.  It's hard for a parent to compete with the golden arches and neon colored breakfast cereal.  So, in order to get my kids to consume a healthy dose of fruits and vegetables I will sometimes serve them Ogre Smoothies and Arnold Juice. 

Ogre Smoothies are something my sister M came up with (actually she named it after America's favorite green ogre).  I modified her recipe and came up with this sweet green smoothie that my kids love (although I have to be care full that my oldest doesn't see what goes into it as he is presently on an anti-veggie kick).

For the Ogre Smoothie:
Apple Juice (about a cup)
Celery Stick
Half a cucumber
One pear
One leaf of Kale
A handful of ice cubes

Mix in a blender until smooth.  You will have bits of darker green material floating about from the green skin of the cucumber and Kalle, but just tell your kids Ogre's love those bits the best.

About two years ago, I introduced my kids to my hero and role model, Arnold Schwarzenegger (actor, athlete, business owner, politician).  My boys were amazed at Arnold's physique and I told them that if they had any desire to be like him, they had to eat vegetables and fruit.  I had found a magazine picture of Arnold posing on a background of fruits and vegetables and posted it on the fridge so they could see it everyday.  That's when my kids decided they liked salads.  But not everyday and for those days that they are reluctant to eat veggies - that's when I will often pull out the juicer and make Arnold Juice.

For the Arnold Juice:
2 apples
6 carrots
1 beet
assorted other vegetables I may have on hand.

It's easier to drink your fruits and veggies than it is to eat them for some kids (especially my oldest).  My second son loves to chew on crunchy veggies which satisfies his oral sensory needs.

If you are like me and need to have step by step instructions before you feel comfortable experimenting on your own, here are some other sites where you can get recipes to try.

www.juicerrecipesnow.com

General guide for Juicing for kids

Juicing using Jack Lanne's Power Juicer


Until next time, eat well, be well and be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment